A bright & spicy sauce that is easy to make.
Lemongrass Shallot Sambal
- 1 thick stalk of fresh lemongrass
- 2 fresh red Thai chiles, stemmed and very finely chopped
- 2 shallots, peeled and very finely chopped
- 3 teaspoons peanut oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Cut off the hard brown part and remove the outer leaves from the lemongrass.
- Slice the lemongrass very thinly lengthwise and then chop the slices as finely as you can; it should be the consistency of sand by the time you've finished. The chiles and shallots should be cut as finely as the lemongrass for consistency.
- Transfer the lemongrass to a bowl. Add the chiles, shallots, oil, lime juice, and salt to the bowl. Stir well to combine. The flavors will develop better after about an hour; at which time I would adjust the seasoning as needed.
- This is a great sauce for grilled chicken, or fish.
*Source: Cradle of Flavor: Home Cooking from the Spice Islands of Indonesia, Malaysia, and Singapore