This is a great spicy stew for a cold rainy day.
- 2 pounds chicken; bone-in thighs & legs
- 1 onion, cut into big chunks
- 3 slices ginger
- 2 cups water
- 10 ounces potatoes, cut into big chunks
- 2 carrots, cut into big chunks
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds
- 2 scallions sliced thinly
- 1/8 cup garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tablespoon sugar
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/4 cup gochujang (Korean red chili pepper paste)
- Add the sauce ingredients to a mini chopper and blend until smooth.
- In a large bowl add chicken, sauce mixture, onions, and ginger; mix thoroughly.
- In a braiser (or a deep sided pan), over medium heat, add chicken mixture and 2 cups water and cover. Cook for 20 minutes.
- Add carrots and potatoes to the pan and cook covered for additional 15 minutes or until potatoes soften.
- Remove lid and simmer for 5 - 10 minutes to reduce sauce a little; remove from heat and drizzle sesame oil; add sesame seeds and scallions.